Switch on Your Natural Fat-Burning Machine, Your body!
Who would have known? Our body is capable of being a fat-burning machine! You just have to turn on the switch!
If you want to drop some pounds or hold off the middle-age spread, there are easy ways to help your body burn fat. Simple lifestyle changes can transform your body into a fat-burning machine. Speed up your metabolism by adjusting the way you eat, exercise, and even sleep.
Eating to Burn Fat
1. Consume fewer calories. Weight gain is usually caused by eating more calories than you burn. You’ll save yourself a lot of money and frustration by accepting this simple truth.
Your metabolism naturally slows down with age so over time you need to eat less and exercise more to avoid storing fat.
2. Eat breakfast. Most busy people skip breakfast. You need that boost to jumpstart your day! You can still enjoy a hearty breakfast. Your metabolism slows down while you sleep so get it going again with a healthy feast. Oatmeal with cinnamon or fruit yogurt and granola are both excellent breakfast choices.
3. Eat frequently. Eating often also speeds up your metabolism. Replace the usual 3 big meals per day with 4 or 5 smaller meals and snacks. Enjoy whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and lean proteins. As an added benefit, you’ll feel full much of the time so it’s easier to resist junk food.
4. Drink alcohol in moderation. Alcohol is a depressant that slows down your central nervous system. You can still drink a glass of wine with dinner if you balance it out with lots of water. Water aids digestion and gives your metabolism another modest boost.
5. Be smart about using supplements. You’ve probably seen advertisements for expensive fat loss supplements. Many of these products produce no significant effects or contain caffeine that can make you jittery. Supplement claims are not evaluated by the FDA, so be careful and let your physician know about any supplements you take.
Exercising to Burn Fat
6. Build up your muscle mass. Even seniors can increase their muscle mass with weight training. It’s worthwhile because a pound of muscle burns more calories than a pound of fat. If you’re new to weight training, start off gradually to avoid injury.
· If you prefer other activities, you can get similar benefits from movements that use your own bodyweight for resistance like push-ups, crunches, and Pilates. Yoga and Tai Chi is also a good choice.
7. Vary your routine. Your body adapts to any familiar activity so you use up fewer calories over time. Cross-training will stimulate your body’s metabolism. Get off the treadmill and take a dance class from time to time.
8. Do interval training. Interval training is another proven strategy for burning more fat. Break up your morning jog with a few sprints. Jump rope for a couple of minutes during low-impact aerobics. This way you train both your aerobic and anaerobic energy systems so you lose more calories from fat.
Other Lifestyle Tips For Burning Fat
9. Sleep in a cool room. Get a full night’s sleep in a cool room. Your body processes calories more efficiently when it gets 6 to 8 hours of slumber. Studies show that room temperatures of about 60 to 65 degrees can help you fall asleep faster and burn more calories per hour.
10. Start fidgeting. On average, people who fidget are thinner than those who don’t. As long as you’re not distracting others, swing your leg and shift around. Even better, get up during TV commercials to do some lunges and take the stairs whenever you can.
11. See your doctor. If you need more help, talk with your doctor. Testing and treatment are available for many conditions that make it harder to lose weight such as hypothyroidism. Your doctor can also advise you on dieting and exercising safely.
Daily activities can trigger your body to burn fat more effectively. With these simple lifestyle choices, you can reduce your body fat and stay lean and healthy for life!